- 50 ml grapeseed oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 3 red or golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp finely grated ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 gm (2 cups) cooked cold jasmine rice
- 1 Chinese roast duck, meat stripped from the bone and coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce, or to taste
- 2 tbsp Chinese roasted chilli paste, or to taste, plus extra to serve (see note)
- 1 tbsp Chinkiang vinegar
- 12 lychees, pitted and coarsely torn
- 2/3 cup each (loosely packed) coriander and mint
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1Heat oils in a large wok over high heat, add shallots and stir-fry until soft (2-3 minutes), then add ginger and garlic, and stir to combine. Add rice, stir-fry until warmed through (4-5 minutes), then add duck, soy sauce, chilli paste and vinegar, and stir-fry until duck is heated through (3-4 minutes). Toss lychees through rice, remove from heat, stir in herbs and spring onions, and serve hot with extra roast chilli paste.
Note Chinese roasted chilli paste, a mixture of roasted chilli flakes and garlic in oil, is available from select Asian grocers.