Shaoxing wine, soy sauce and ginger give this chicken a lovely Chinese flavour. Serve it with steamed rice, or simple fried rice or stir-fried greens.
- 1 chicken (about 1.5kg)
- 3 tsp grapeseed oil
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) butcher-quality chicken stock
- 60 ml (¼ cup) Shaoxing wine
- 60 ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 15 gm ginger, finely grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 pinch of coarsely ground white pepper
- 4 spring onions, trimmed
- 1Preheat oven to 200C. Place chicken in a roasting pan or large casserole and brush with oil. Combine stock, Shaoxing, soy sauces, ginger, garlic and pepper in a bowl, then pour over chicken and add spring onions. Roast, basting occasionally and adding a little water to the pan if it becomes dry, and turning spring onions occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear when the thigh is pierced with a skewer (55 minutes to 1 hour). Set aside to rest in a warm place (15 minutes).
- 2Scatter the chicken with sesame seeds, and serve with steamed rice and Chinese chilli paste.
Drink Suggestion: Purple-foaming sparkling shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen