A good avocado salsa is a thing of beauty – spoon it over grilled fish, skirt steak tacos or do as we have here, and add it to smoky chipotle chicken. It may seem like a garnish but, let's be honest, it's the star of the show.
- 50 ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 chipotle chilli in adobo, plus 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp hot paprika
- 8 skinless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 limes, halved
- Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- 200 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed
- 225 gm wholemeal flour
- 7 gm (1 sachet) dried yeast
- 150 gm Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 corn cobs, husks and silk removed
- 60 ml (1⁄4 cup) olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 firm, ripe avocados, diced
- 1 long green chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 small golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lime, or to taste
- 1Process oil, chilli, adobo sauce, garlic and spices in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a bowl, add chicken and mix to coat. Cover and refrigerate to marinate for 2-3 hours.
- 2For spinach flatbread, wilt spinach in a frying pan over medium-high heat (30 seconds to 1 minute), transfer to a sieve and press to drain off excess liquid. Purée in a blender until smooth. Combine flour, yeast and 1 tsp sea salt in a bowl. Whisk yoghurt and 80ml hot water in a jug to combine, then stir into flour mixture, add spinach and mix to form a soft dough, adding a little extra flour if necessary. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic (4-5 minutes), then place in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and stand until doubled in size.
- 3Knock back dough, divide into 6 even pieces and roll out each to a 3mm-thick round. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and cook each flatbread, turning once, until lightly scorched and cooked through (2-3 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 4For avocado-corn salsa, heat a char-grill pan or barbecue to high. Drizzle corn with a little oil, season and grill, turning occasionally, until lightly charred (8-10 minutes). When cool enough to handle, cut kernels from cobs and combine in a bowl with oil, avocado, chilli, shallot, garlic and lime juice, season to taste and mix to combine.
- 5Remove chicken from marinade and drizzle with a little extra oil. Grill in pan or on barbecue, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through (6-7 minutes). Rest for 5 minutes, then thickly slice. Meanwhile, chargrill lime halves.
- 6To serve, spread flatbreads with yoghurt, top with chicken, tomatoes, salsa and coriander and serve with lime halves.