- 250 gm (1 2/3 cups) plain flour
- 1 tbsp raw caster sugar
- 600 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 40 gm butter, melted, plus extra for brushing
- To serve: crème fraîche, grated dark chocolate and roasted sliced almonds
- 500 ml pouring cream
- 50 ml brandy
- 500 gm dark chocolate (55% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
Salted caramel sauce
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
- 60 gm salted butter
- 125 ml (½ cup) pouring cream
- 1For chocolate ganache, bring cream and brandy to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, remove from heat, add chocolate and stand for 5 minutes. Whisk until smooth, transfer to a container and refrigerate until it’s of a spreadable consistency (4-4½ hours).
- 2Process flour, sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor to combine. Add milk, eggs and yolks, process to combine, place in a jug and rest for 30 minutes, then stir in butter.
- 3Heat a 20cm-diameter crêpe pan over medium-high heat, brush with butter, add 60ml crêpe batter and tilt pan to spread evenly. Cook until edges are golden (1-2 minutes), turn and cook until base is golden. Transfer to a plate lined with baking paper and repeat with remaining batter, separating each crêpe with baking paper. Crêpes will keep, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated, for 2 days.
- 4Line the base of a 22cm-diameter spring-form cake tin with a round of baking paper and place a crêpe in. Spread with a little ganache and repeat layering until all crêpes are used, finishing with a crêpe (reserve remaining ganache). Cover with foil and refrigerate until firm (1 hour).
- 5For salted caramel sauce, stir sugar and 60ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and cook until caramel (4-5 minutes). Add butter, whisk to combine, then add cream (be careful, hot caramel will spit) and 1 tsp sea salt, whisk to combine and set aside.
- 6Preheat oven to 180C. Heat crêpe cake until just warm (10-12 minutes), then transfer to a serving plate. Warm remaining ganache in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally until drizzling consistency. Top cake with crème fraîche, drizzle with salted caramel and chocolate ganache, scatter with grated chocolate and serve with almonds on the side.
Note This makes a great dinner party dessert because much of the work can be done in advance. Simply heat, drizzle, and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Pedro Ximénez. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm