Dutch-process cocoa and chocolate chips take these light and fluffy hotcakes firmly into the dessert zone. Serve a stack of them topped with vanilla ice-cream and drizzled with rich fudge sauce. If you wanted to add fruit to the mix, sliced banana would be excellent, as would roasted pears or even a handful of raspberries when they're in season.
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 1½ tbsp brown sugar
- 40 gm Dutch-process cocoa, sieved
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 125 ml milk (½ cup)
- 100 ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 160 gm firm ricotta, drained in a sieve for 20 minutes
- 60 gm dark chocolate (56%-60% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 160 gm dark chocolate (56% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 150 gm caster sugar
- 140 gm liquid glucose
- 20 gm Dutch-process cocoa, sieved
- 20 gm butter
- 1For fudge sauce, stir chocolate, sugar, glucose, cocoa, butter, 1 tsp sea salt and 150ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat until combined and smooth, bring to a simmer and cook until sauce has a light syrup consistency (3-4 minutes).
- 2Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt in a bowl, and make a well in the centre. Whisk milk, buttermilk and egg yolks in a separate bowl to combine, add to well and stir until smooth. Crumble in ricotta, add chocolate and fold to just combine (you want the batter to be studded with little chunks of ricotta). Whisk egg whites and a pinch of salt in a bowl to firm peaks, then fold into batter.
- 3Preheat oven to 160C and line a large baking tray with baking paper. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat, add a splash of oil and 1 tsp butter and when melted, brush it evenly over base of pan. Add ¼-cupfuls of batter to pan, being careful not to overcrowd it, and cook until bubbles start to appear on the surface, and the base of the pancake is browned (2-3 minutes). Flip pancakes and cook other side until browned (2-3 minutes). Place on tray in a single layer and keep warm in the oven while you cook the rest of the pancakes, wiping out pan between batches with paper towels and adding more oil and butter.
- 4Serve warm pancakes with ice-cream or cream and fudge sauce.