- 6 egg yolks
- 100 gm caster sugar
- 3 gelatine leaves (titanium strength), softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 800 gm crème fraîche
- 250 gm raspberries, crushed, plus extra whole raspberries, to serve
- For brushing: raspberry liqueur
- For dusting: Dutch-process cocoa
- 240 gm dark chocolate (56% cocoa solids), coarsely chopped
- 130 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 12 eggs, at room temperature
- 450 gm caster sugar
- 360 gm plain flour
- 90 gm Dutch-process cocoa
- 3 tsp baking powder
Chocolate truffle ganache
- 380 ml pouring cream
- 70 ml chocolate liqueur
- 450 gm dark chocolate (56% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 1For chocolate cake, preheat oven to 180C. Melt half the chocolate and half the butter in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water, stir occasionally until melted, keep warm. Whisk half the eggs and half the sugar in an electric mixer until pale and tripled in volume (5-6 minutes). Meanwhile, triple-sieve half each of the flour, cocoa and baking powder. Transfer egg mixture to a large bowl, sieve flour mixture over bowl in two batches, fold to combine. Fold in chocolate mixture, divide among three 20cm-diameter cake tins buttered and lined with baking paper and smooth tops. Bake, swapping tins between racks halfway through cooking, until centres spring back when lightly pressed (10-15 minutes), cool on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining ingredients to make six cakes. Wrap cakes individually in plastic wrap until required.
- 2Meanwhile, for chocolate truffle ganache, bring cream and liqueur to the simmer in a saucepan over medium-high heat, remove from heat, add chocolate and stir until smooth and combined. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and 40ml hot water in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until pale and fluffy (2-3 minutes). Fold through chocolate mixture, transfer to an electric mixer and whisk until cooled to room temperature (10-15 minutes). Refrigerate until beginning to firm (45 minutes-1 hour).
- 3Meanwhile, whisk yolks, sugar and 30ml water in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water until thick and pale (2-3 minutes). Squeeze excess water from gelatine, whisk to combine then remove from heat. Fold in crème fraîche and crushed raspberries then refrigerate until firm (30 minutes-1 hour).
- 4Place a cake round on a serving plate, brush with raspberry liqueur and spread with chocolate truffle ganache to 5mm thick. Spread with one-fifth of raspberry crème fraîche mixture, top with another cake round. Repeat layers, finishing with a cake round. Spread remaining chocolate truffle ganache over top of cake and refrigerate until firm (30 minutes-1 hour). Serve dusted with cocoa and topped with extra raspberries.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am