Chocolate and ricotta are a great match. Add some coffee and you've got a trifecta of winning flavour.
- 400 gm digestive biscuits (1 packet)
- 35 gm cocoa powder, preferably raw (⅓ cup)
- 125 gm butter, softened
- 550 gm firm ricotta, drained, at room temperature
- 250 gm mascarpone
- 200 gm pure icing sugar, sieved
- 25 gm cocoa powder, preferably raw (¼ cup)
- 80 ml espresso coffee (⅓ cup)
- 2 sheets titanium-strength gelatine, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- 150 ml thickened cream, whisked to soft peaks
- 100 gm roasted hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
Whipped chocolate frosting
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 300 gm dark chocolate (60%-64% cocoa solids), finely chopped
- 100 gm light muscovado sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Butter a 24cm-diameter springform cake tin and line the base and sides with baking paper. Process biscuits in a food processor until finely ground, then add cocoa, butter and 1 tsp salt and process to combine. Press evenly into the base and 2cm up sides of prepared tin, and bake until base is toasted and butter melts into crumb (15-16 minutes). Cool.
- 2For ricotta filling, process ricotta, mascarpone, icing sugar and cocoa in a food processor until smooth. Bring coffee to the boil in a small saucepan. Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to pan, then remove from heat and stir until dissolved (1-2 minutes). Cool for 5 minutes, then add coffee to ricotta mixture and process to combine. Fold in whipped cream and hazelnuts, then spread evenly over base, smoothing top, and refrigerate until set (4-5 hours).
- 3For frosting, bring cream to the boil in a saucepan, then add chocolate and sugar and stir until melted. Transfer to an electric mixer and whisk until cooled and thickened to a spreadable consistency (5-10 minutes). Spread frosting over cake, and serve cut into wedges. The cake will keep refrigerated in an airtight container for up to four days (remove from fridge 15 minutes before serving).
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am