A hotdog is all about the condiments. Here, choose between a smoky red capsicum relish or the bright flavours of chimichurri, or go for a bit of both.
- 6 fresh chorizo
- Olive oil, for drizzling
- 6 hotdog rolls, split in half
- Mayonnaise or aïoli and rocket, to serve
Smoky red relish
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 long red chilli
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 150 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 cup (firmly packed) flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup (firmly packed) oregano
- 1 long green chilli, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind and juice of ½ orange
- 200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1For relish, char capsicum and chilli over a gas flame (or in a very hot oven) until blackened all over (2-3 minutes for chilli; 4-5 minutes for capsicum). Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and stand to steam (10-15 minutes), then peel. Thinly slice the chilli and trim, core and dice the capsicum. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and sauté until softened (4-5 minutes). Add tomatoes and paprika and simmer until tomatoes soften (4-5 minutes). Add vinegar, sugar, capsicum and chilli, and reduce to a light jammy consistency (2-3 minutes). Season, cool and refrigerate in an airtight container. Relish will keep refrigerated for 2 weeks.
- 2For chimichurri, process herbs, chilli, garlic and rind in a food processor until finely chopped, then gradually add oil and process until smooth. Add vinegar and orange juice, and season to taste.
- 3Drizzle chorizo with a little oil and grill on a barbecue, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked through (6-8 minutes). To serve, split rolls partway, spread with mayonnaise or aïoli, halve chorizo lengthways, stuff into rolls and top with smoky red relish or chimichurri and rocket.
Drink Suggestion: Juicy joven-style tempranillo. Drink suggestion by Max Allen