- 30 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 10 wide prosciutto slices
- 250 gm coarse sourdough breadcrumbs (3½ cups)
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- Finely grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
- 8 rainbow trout (about 300gm each), butterflied (see note)
- 2 Spanish onions, thinly sliced into rings
- 300 ml dry cider
- 300 ml chicken stock
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Heat butter and half the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat, add leek and garlic and sauté until tender (3-4 minutes). Finely chop 2 prosciutto slices, add to pan and sauté until fragrant (2-3 minutes). Transfer to a bowl, add breadcrumbs, parsley and lemon rind and season to taste.
- 2Open out trout, drizzle cavities with a little lemon juice and season to taste. Divide breadcrumb mixture among trout, then reshape trout around stuffing. Wrap each trout in a prosciutto slice then season to taste.
- 3Place onion in a single layer in a roasting pan large enough to hold trout snugly in a single layer, or divide among two smaller pans. Place trout on top, pour over cider and stock, drizzle with remaining oil and lemon juice and roast until just cooked though (20-25 minutes). Serve trout hot, scattered with extra parsley, with onion and pan juices.
Note You'll need to ask your fishmonger to butterfly the trout for you.
Drink Suggestion: Heady, full-bodied viognier. Drink suggestion by Max Allen