- 1 kg minced beef chuck
- 2 onions
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 375 gm beetroot (about 3)
- 60 ml olive oil (¼ cup)
- 200 gm Cheddar cheese, sliced
- 8 soft burger buns, halved
- 8 leaves of baby cos lettuce
- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 100 gm dill pickles, sliced
- To serve: barbecue sauce
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 2 large sebago potatoes, peeled, cut into julienne using a mandolin and soaked in cold water
- 1Place beef in a large bowl. Finely grate 1 onion and add to bowl with Worcestershire, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Using hands, form into 8 patties and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- 2Place beetroot in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce to medium and simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Drain, cool, peel and cut into 1cm-thick slices.
- 3Thinly slice remaining onion. Heat oil in a large frying pan, add patties and onion
and cook over medium heat, turning patties occasionally, for 5 minutes for medium, or until cooked to your liking, and until onions are soft. Top patties with cheese and allow to melt.
- 4For fries, heat oil in a deep-fryer to 180C. Drain potato and pat dry. Deep-fry for 2 minutes or until crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- 5Toast cut sides of buns. Top with lettuce, tomato, beetroot, patties, onion and pickles. Spread barbecue sauce on the top half of bun, sandwich and serve with fries.