- 1.1 kg coarsely minced wagyu beef (see note)
- 20 cheddar slices
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 10 burger buns, halved
- For brushing: melted butter
- 5 vine-ripened tomatoes, sliced
- 1 iceberg lettuce, leaves separated and coarsely torn
- To serve: tomato sauce, American-style mustard and mayonnaise
- To serve: crinkle-cut chips
- 75 ml white wine vinegar
- 45 gm sea salt flakes
- 2 tsp pickling spice (see note)
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp dill seeds
- 400 gm baby cucumbers, sliced on a mandolin
- 3 dill sprigs
- 1For dill pickles, bring vinegar, salt, pickling spice, peppercorns, dill seeds and 750ml water to the boil in a large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally to dissolve salt. Add cucumbers and dill, transfer to sterilised jars and refrigerate to pickle (2 days to a week).
- 2Combine minced beef, 3 tsp sea salt flakes and 1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper in a large bowl and mix with hands to combine well. Divide into 10 patties, flatten out slightly and place on a tray lined with baking paper. Cover and refrigerate until required.
- 3Heat oil on a large flat grill or frying pan over high heat and cook patties until browned (1-2 minutes), turn and place two cheese slices on each patty, then cook until cheese melts and meat is cooked to your liking (1-2 minutes for medium-rare). Set aside to rest (2 minutes).
- 4Brush buns with melted butter and grill cut-side down until golden (1 minute).
- 5Spread bun bases with tomato sauce, top with pickles, then patty, mustard, tomato and lettuce. Spread bun tops with mayonnaise, sandwich burgers and serve hot with chips.
Note At Huxtaburger, owner-chef Daniel Wilson uses Moondarra grass-fed wagyu with a 10 per cent fat ratio. You'll need to begin this recipe at least two days ahead to make the pickles. Minced wagyu is available from select butchers; you may need to order. Pickling spice is available from select delicatessens.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am