- 1 kg diced beef
- 2 tbsp Thai yellow curry paste
- 410 ml (1 2/3 cups) coconut milk
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef stock
- 4 tsp finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium onions (300gm), cut into thin wedges
- 2 fresh kaffir lime leaves
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 150 gm snow peas
- 2 tbsp finely chopped toasted peanuts
- ¼ cup (firmly packed) Thai basil
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1Place beef, curry paste and coconut milk in a 4.5-litre (18-cup) slow-cooker, and stir to dissolve paste.
- 2Add stock, ginger, garlic, onions, lime leaves, curry leaves, fish sauce and palm sugar and cook, covered, over high heat for 2 hours. Reduce heat to low and cook for a further 8 hours. Season to taste.
- 3Discard lime leaves. Add snow peas and cook, covered, over low heat until snow peas are tender (10 minutes). Season to taste, scatter with peanuts, basil and chilli, and serve with steamed rice.
Note Recipes taken from The Australian Women's Weekly Slow Cooker 4 ($12.95) published by Bauer Media Group, available at selected newsagents and supermarkets. These recipes have been reproduced with minor GT style changes.OVEN VERSION
Prep + cook time 2½ hours
1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large flameproof casserole over high heat and cook beef, in batches, until browned. Remove from casserole.
2 Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in casserole, add ginger, garlic and onion and stir until softened. Add curry paste and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
3 Return beef to dish with stock, coconut milk, kaffir lime leaves and curry leaves, and bring to the boil. Cover casserole, transfer to oven and cook for 1½ hours. Uncover, return to oven and cook a further 15 minutes until beef is tender and sauce has thickened.
4 Discard lime leaves. Stir in fish sauce, sugar and snow peas. Stand, covered, for 5 minutes or until snow peas are tender. Season to taste, top with peanuts, basil and chilli, and serve with steamed rice.