You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 100 gm black glutinous rice, soaked overnight in cold water, drained (see note)
- 1 piece dried mandarin peel (see note)
- 50 gm white sugar, or to taste
- 50 gm desiccated coconut
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 300 ml milk
- 100 gm dark palm sugar, finely chopped
- 6 egg yolks
- 20 ml dark rum
- 500 gm butternut pumpkin (about ½), seeds removed, coarsely chopped
- 70 gm caster sugar
- 50 ml coconut milk
- 50 ml pouring cream
- 20 ml Malibu
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1For coconut ice-cream, preheat oven to 180C. Spread coconut on an oven tray and roast, stirring occasionally, until golden (4-5 minutes). Transfer to a saucepan, add cream, milk and palm sugar, then bring to the simmer over low heat. Simmer for 1 minute, remove from heat, cover and stand for 10 minutes to infuse. Meanwhile, whisk yolks in a heatproof bowl to combine, then add cream mixture, whisking continuously to combine. Return to pan and stir continuously until mixture coats the back of a wooden spoon thickly (5-6 minutes). Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl placed over ice, pressing solids to extract all liquid (discard solids), stir in rum and cool completely. Freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions and freeze until required. Makes about 1 litre.
- 2For pumpkin sauce, steam pumpkin until very tender (15-20 minutes), transfer to a food processor, add remaining ingredients and 100ml water and process until very smooth. Stand at room temperature until required. Makes about 750ml.
- 3Combine rice in a large saucepan with mandarin peel and 1 litre water, bring to the boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low-medium, stir occasionally until rice is tender and water is completely evaporated (20-30 minutes). Discard mandarin peel, stir in sugar, then serve warm or at room temperature with coconut ice-cream and pumpkin sauce.
Note Black glutinous rice and dried mandarin peel are available from Asian supermarkets.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am