You can serve this pudding straight from the oven if you prefer. Be sure to use thin red rhubarb stalks that aren't dried out or stringy. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 600 ml milk
- 200 ml pouring cream
- 100 gm arborio rice
- 55 gm raw caster sugar (¼ cup)
- 1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- 2 eggs
- 1 punnet strawberries, thinly sliced, to serve
Rhubarb in syrup
- 300 gm caster sugar
- 4 rhubarb stalks, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1Preheat oven to 120C. Combine milk, cream, rice, sugar and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally until rice is cooked (15-20 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, whisk eggs until smooth. Add to rice mixture, whisking continuously until combined. Pour into a 1-litre baking dish, place in a roasting pan, add boiling water to pan to come halfway up sides of dish. Bake until pudding is just set and has a slight wobble (1-1¼ hours). Cool, refrigerate overnight.
- 3Meanwhile, for rhubarb in syrup, place rhubarb in a heatproof bowl. Combine sugar and 200ml water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring to dissolve sugar. Pour hot syrup over rhubarb and stand until cool. Serve rhubarb and strawberries with pudding.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe restaurant kitchens that are going plastic-freeYesterday 3:00am