Cold roast beef is great for a picnic - either slice it before you head out, or, to keep the beef optimally moist, take a board and slice it when you reach your destination.
- 1 beef fillet (about 1.6kg), trimmed of sinew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- To serve: watercress sprigs
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 185 gm canned Italian tuna in oil, drained well
- 225 gm (¾ cup) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 50 gm capers in vinegar, rinsed and finely chopped, plus extra to serve (¼ cup)
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, finely chopped
- Juice of ½ a lemon, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 250C fan-forced. Place a heavy oven tray in oven to heat. Tie beef fillet at intervals with kitchen string to hold shape, then rub with olive oil and season to taste. Remove tray from oven and place beef fillet on tray, then roast, turning occasionally, until browned and cooked medium-rare (20-25 minutes). Remove from oven, cover with foil and cool to room temperature (30-40 minutes). Wrap tightly in plastic wrap to form a cylinder, then refrigerate until chilled (2-4 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for tonnato sauce, cook eggs in boiling water until hard-boiled (10 minutes). Refresh, then peel, halve, remove egg yolks (discard whites) and place in a bowl. Add tuna and mash with a fork, then add remaining ingredients, mix well to combine and season to taste with lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper. Sauce will keep refrigerated for 3 days. Serve with sliced beef fillet, watercress and extra capers.
Drink Suggestion: Light, herbal cabernet franc. Drink suggestion by Max Allen