- 900 gm piece white cabbage, finely shredded using a mandoline
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced widthways
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into julienne
- 125 ml cider vinegar (½ cup)
- 110 gm golden caster sugar (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 60 ml peanut oil (¼ cup)
- 60 ml double cream (¼ cup)
- 60 ml sour cream (¼ cup)
- 1Combine cabbage, carrot and cucumber and 2 tbsp sea salt in a bowl. Stand for at least 30 minutes, or until wilted, then drain and squeeze excess liquid from vegetables.
- 2For dressing, combine vinegar, sugar and ½ tsp sea salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, then simmer, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Whisk in mustard and oil and pour warm dressing over vegetables and mix. Stand until cool, then stir in creams and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Refrigerate until required. Serve with fried chicken.
Note Serve this recipe with southern fried chicken (shown above).
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am