- 8 small frankfurts
- For brushing: olive oil
- 125 gm plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 150 gm instant polenta
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 egg
- 250 ml buttermilk
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- To serve: American-style mustard, tomato sauce and mayonnaise (optional)
- 1Heat a char-grill pan (or barbecue) over medium-high heat. Brush frankfurts lightly with olive oil and char-grill, turning occasionally, until browned (2-3 minutes).
- 2Combine dry ingredients and lemon rind in a bowl with 2 tsp sea salt. Gradually whisk in eggs and buttermilk until smooth, then transfer to a tall jug.
- 3Preheat vegetable oil in a deep saucepan to 180C. Skewer frankfurts on long wooden skewers, dust in flour, then, working with one at a time, dip into batter and deep-fry, holding end of skewer and ensuring whole corndog is submerged in oil, until batter puffs and turns golden (3-4 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with mustard, tomato sauce and mayonnaise.