These fritters combine all the flavours of a Reuben sandwich. They'd also be great tucked in a soft white bun, with all the trimmings and a few extra pickles.
- 120 gm cabbage, shaved
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 120 gm Gruyère, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 30 gm plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 750 gm corned beef
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 150 gm mayonnaise (½ cup)
- 150 gm sour cream (½ cup)
- 60 gm celeriac, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp white onion, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp sriracha sauce
- 2 tsp Tabasco
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 150 gm white cabbage, very thinly sliced
- 1For corned beef, combine ingredients in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water, bring to a simmer and cook over low-medium heat until cooked through (1½-1¾ hours). Set aside to cool in liquid, then strain, discard solids and shred beef.
- 2For sauce, combine ingredients in a small bowl, season to taste and refrigerate until required.
- 3For pickled cabbage, dry-roast caraway seeds in a small frying pan over low heat until fragrant (30 seconds to 1 minute). Crush and combine in a bowl with vinegar and sugar. Stir to dissolve sugar, then add cabbage, toss to combine and stand until slightly softened (10-15 minutes).
- 4Mix 400gm corned beef, the shaved cabbage, spring onion, parsley, Gruyère and mustard in a bowl, season to taste, then mix in eggs. Combine flour and baking powder, then add to corned beef mixture along with 1 tsp sea salt flakes and season with black pepper.
- 5Preheat oven to 160C. Heat 30ml oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat and fry quarter-cupfuls of mixture, turning once, until golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes each side). Keep warm on a baking tray lined with baking paper in oven and repeat in batches with remaining mixture and oil, wiping pan with paper towels between batches.
- 6Serve with sauce and pickled cabbage.
Drink Suggestion: Russian imperial stout. Drink suggestion by Max Allen