Chapons, croûtons that have been rubbed with garlic, add great texture to salads. This salad makes an excellent entrée.
- 500 gm cooked spanner crab meat, drained
- 125 gm mayonnaise (1/2 cup)
- 2 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chervil, plus extra sprigs to serve
- 1 tbsp finely chopped chives, plus extra to serve
- 1 tbsp finely chopped basil
- 2 tsp tarragon leaves
- 2 butter lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 avocado, diced
- 16 thin baguette slices (about 1/3 baguette)
- 125 ml olive oil (½ cup)
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1For garlic chapons, preheat oven to 180C. Brush both sides of baguette slices with oil, then bake on an oven tray, turning once, until golden (5-10 minutes). Rub bread with cut side of garlic, season to taste and cool. Chapons will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- 2Combine crab, mayonnaise, shallot and herbs in a bowl, and season to taste.
- 3Layer lettuce and avocado in serving bowls, top with chapons and crab mixture, and serve scattered with chervil sprigs, extra chives and lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Grapey pinot blanc Drink suggestion by Max Allen