- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp light palm sugar, crushed
- 330 ml light lager, such as Singha
- 4 blue swimmer crabs (250gm each), top shell removed, gills discarded, rinsed under cold running water
- 2 long red chillies, cut into julienne
- 2 spring onions, cut into julienne
- To serve: Vietnamese mint, bean sprouts, lime wedges and fish sauce
- To serve: steamed jasmine rice (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and roast until fragrant (5-10 minutes).
- 2Heat oil in a wok over high heat, add shallot and garlic and stir occasionally until caramelised (3-5 minutes). Add shrimp paste and palm sugar, stir until caramelised (1-2 minutes), add beer and crab, cover and stir occasionally until just cooked through (5-7 minutes). Add chilli, spring onion, mint and bean sprouts and toss to combine. Season to taste with fish sauce and lime juice and serve hot with rice.