- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 6 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1½ tbsp light palm sugar, crushed
- 330 ml light lager, such as Singha
- 4 blue swimmer crabs (250gm each), top shell removed, gills discarded, rinsed under cold running water
- 2 long red chillies, cut into julienne
- 2 spring onions, cut into julienne
- To serve: Vietnamese mint, bean sprouts, lime wedges and fish sauce
- To serve: steamed jasmine rice (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 170C. Wrap shrimp paste in foil and roast until fragrant (5-10 minutes).
- 2Heat oil in a wok over high heat, add shallot and garlic and stir occasionally until caramelised (3-5 minutes). Add shrimp paste and palm sugar, stir until caramelised (1-2 minutes), add beer and crab, cover and stir occasionally until just cooked through (5-7 minutes). Add chilli, spring onion, mint and bean sprouts and toss to combine. Season to taste with fish sauce and lime juice and serve hot with rice.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm