This is one way to take the potato uptown, and if you're feeling extra luxe you could add a dollop of caviar to each. These would also be lovely as hors d'oeuvre made with small chats.
- 6 medium floury potatoes, such as King Edward, scrubbed
- 1.5 kg rock salt
- 600 gm cooked crabmeat, picked
- To serve: chopped chives and lemon wedges
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 200 ml sunflower oil
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place potatoes in a baking dish, cover with salt and bake until tender (1-1¼ hours). Remove potatoes from salt and brush off excess.
- 2For mayonnaise, whisk yolks, lemon juice and mustard in a bowl until pale and frothy, then whisk in oil in a thin stream until thick and emulsified. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- 3Cut a cross in the top of each potato and split open. Mix together crabmeat and mayonnaise and spoon into potatoes, top with chives and serve hot with lemon wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Blanc de blancs Champagne. Drink suggestion by Max Allen