- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 duck breasts (about 270gm each)
- ¼ cup each torn mint, coriander and parsley leaves
Cracked wheat and walnut pilaf
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 150 gm coarse cracked wheat (burghul) rinsed under cold running water
- 75 gm walnuts, broken into small pieces
- 310 ml (1¼ cup) chicken stock
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate
- 1For cracked wheat and walnut pilaf, preheat oven to 180C. Heat oil in an flameproof casserole over low-medium heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until soft (5-10 minutes). Add cracked wheat and walnuts and stir to combine, then add stock, season to taste. Cover with foil, transfer to oven and bake until stock is absorbed (25-30 minutes). Remove foil, bake for another 5 minutes. Set aside, keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for pomegranate dressing, combine oil, molasses and vinegar in a bowl, whisk to combine, season to taste and stir through pomegranate seeds.
- 3Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat, add duck, skin-side down, and cook until golden and crisp (6-8 minutes), turn and cook until medium-rare (3-5 minutes). Rest duck for 5 minutes. Slice thickly.
- 4Spoon pilaf into bowls, top with duck. Spoon over dressing, scatter with herbs. Serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: A savoury, pale rosé made from pinot noir. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am