A really great cheddar ups the stakes on this most classic of snacks. We've gone with a cloth-bound number from Montgomery; Pyengana from Tasmania, or Quicke's cheddar from the UK are also excellent options. Making the pickles from scratch is a cinch (but so too is opening a jar of your favourite brand).
- 48 Jatz crackers (a little less than 1 packet)
- 600 gm Montgomery's cheddar, cut into bite-size pieces
- Radish sprouts, to serve
- 100 ml raspberry vinegar
- 50 gm white sugar
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, halved and thinly sliced
- 1For pickles, bring vinegar, sugar and 200ml water to the simmer over high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar, then remove from heat and set aside to cool. Place remaining ingredients in a bowl, pour pickling liquid in and stand for at least 1 hour to lightly pickle (pickles can be made up to a week ahead). Refrigerate to chill.
- 2Top Jatz with cheddar, pickles and radish sprouts, and serve.