Just add an open fire and a glass of red.
- 1½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, bruised
- 500 gm piece rindless bacon, thinly sliced and coarsely chopped
- 1.5 kg celeriac (about 4 small celeriac; 1kg peeled weight), coarsely chopped
- 1 royal blue potato (about 250gm), coarsely chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 150 gm crème fraîche
- 200 ml pouring cream
Fried chestnuts, bacon and rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 peeled chestnuts (about 120gm), halved
- 100 gm piece bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 tbsp rosemary sprigs
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until just tender (5 minutes), then add bacon and stir occasionally until bacon is tender (5-10 minutes). Add celeriac, potato and stock and bring to the simmer, then cover and cook until potato and celeriac are tender (30 minutes). Add crème fraîche and cream and blend, in batches in a blender or with a hand-held blender, until smooth. Season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Meanwhile, for fried chestnuts, bacon and rosemary, heat oil in a non-stick frying pan over high heat, add chestnuts and bacon and stir occasionally until golden (5-6 minutes). Add rosemary, stir until just crisp (1 minute). Serve scattered over soup, with crusty bread.
This recipe is from the June 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Mellow cabernet sauvignon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am