- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 kg butternut pumpkin (about 1), cut into 3cm cubes
- 1 litre (4 cups) chicken stock
- 160 gm fontina, coarsely grated
- 80 gm parmesan, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp mascarpone
- 1 tbsp finely chopped sage
- 1 tbsp finely chopped rosemary
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 thin slices day-old rye bread
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic, and sauté until tender (10 minutes). Add pumpkin and stock, bring to the simmer, season to taste, reduce heat to low, then cover and cook until pumpkin is very tender (40-45 minutes). Add half the fontina, stir to melt, season to taste and keep warm.
- 2Preheat grill to high. Combine parmesan, mascarpone, sage, rosemary, egg yolk and remaining fontina in a bowl, season to taste.
- 3Divide soup among ovenproof bowls. Place bread on a tray and grill until golden (1 minute each side). Spread with cheese mixture, then position on top of soup and place bowls under grill until cheese is golden and melted (1-2 minutes). Serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Toasty bottle-aged Hunter sémillon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen