- 50 gm plain flour
- 2 tsp ground chilli
- 200 gm whitebait
- 1 green mango, cut into julienne
- 1 cup (loosely packed) each Vietnamese mint, coriander and round mint
- 30 gm fried shallots
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, coarsely chopped
- 35 gm white sugar
- 1 cup each (loosely packed) Vietnamese mint and round mint, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml (¼ cup) lime juice
- 60 ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
- 60 ml (¼ cup) rice vinegar
- 1For mint dressing, pound garlic, chilli and sugar in a mortar and pestle to a coarse paste (2-3 minutes), add mints and pound to combine and set aside. Just before serving, stir in lime juice, fish sauce and rice vinegar.
- 2Preheat oil in a deep-sided saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Combine flour and chilli in a shallow bowl, season to taste. Dust whitebait in flour mixture, in batches, and deep-fry until crisp and light golden (4-5 minutes), then drain on absorbent paper.
- 3Combine mango, herbs, fried shallot and spring onion in a bowl, add whitebait and drizzle with a little mint dressing. Toss lightly to combine and serve with extra mint dressing and lime wedges.
Drink Suggestion: Lively young riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen