Flash-fried prawns dipped in alioli - is there any better accompaniment to a cold beer or glass of wine? Don't bother peeling these little beauties. Pop them in your mouth whole and savour the crunch. Whitebait served this way is great, too.
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 500 gm school prawns
- For dusting: seasoned plain flour
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- To serve: finely chopped rosemary
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 lemon, juice only
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 50 ml each extra-virgin olive oil and olive oil
- 1Preheat oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 180C.
- 2For alioli, whisk yolks, garlic, lemon juice and vinegar in a bowl to combine. Add combined oils in a thin stream, whisking continuously until thick and emulsified, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Toss prawns in seasoned flour, shaking off excess, then deep-fry in batches until pink and cooked through (2-3 minutes). Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to an absorbent paper-lined bowl. Scatter with lemon rind and rosemary and serve immediately with alioli.