This French classic is traditionally made with béchamel sauce; our method is simpler and uses crème fraîche. Top it with a fried egg and you have a croque-madame.
- 200 gm coarsely grated Gruyère
- 200 gm crème fraîche
- 3 tsp Dijon mustard
- 8 thick sourdough bread slices
- 8 thick slices of leg ham, off the bone
- 40 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Combine Gruyère, crème fraîche and mustard in a bowl, season to taste, mix well. Spread thickly over bread slices, then top half the bread slices with ham. Top with remaining bread slices, cheese-side up, and set aside.
- 2Melt half the butter in a frying pan over medium heat until foaming, add half the sandwiches, cheese-side up, cook until base is golden (1-2 minutes), transfer to a baking-paper-lined oven tray. Wipe out pan with absorbent paper, repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches. Bake until bubbling and golden (5-10 minutes), serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Rustic red, such as Minervois. Drink suggestion by Max Allen