- 24 oysters
- For dusting: seasoned plain flour
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten with 200ml milk
- 210 gm fresh fine breadcrumbs (3 cups)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200 gm speck, cut into 1cm lardons
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 550 gm assorted mushrooms, such as button, shiitake and oyster
- 5 anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp Marsala
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1Pat oysters dry with absorbent paper. Place flour, eggs and milk mixture, and breadcrumbs in separate bowls. Dust oysters with flour, then dip into eggwash and coat in breadcrumbs. Place in a single layer on a tray and refrigerate until required.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add speck and garlic and sauté over medium-high heat until speck is golden brown (3-4 minutes), then add mushrooms and cook until tender (3-4 minutes). Stir in anchovies and thyme, cook until anchovies have dissolved, then increase heat to high. Add Marsala to deglaze pan and season to taste.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in a large deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Add oysters, in batches, and deep-fry until crisp and golden (1-2 minutes, be careful hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot with mushrooms and speck.
Drink Suggestion: Nutty amontillado Sherry. Drink suggestion by Max Allen