- 600 gm plain flour (4 cups)
- 1¼ tsp dried yeast
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- To grease: butter
Whipped maple butter
- 250 gm unsalted butter, softened
- 80 ml maple syrup (1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1Sift flour, yeast, baking powder, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and 1½ tsp salt into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and add 800ml lukewarm water and whisk until smooth.
- 2Heat a heavy flat griddle or heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat, grease with butter and place 8 greased 8.5cm metals rings on griddle to heat, then fill each ring with
2 tablespoonsful of batter and cook for 10 minutes or until holes have appeared and top has set, then cover with a lid and cook for another minute. Remove crumpets from rings and repeat with remaining batter. Crumpets may be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- 3For whipped maple butter, using an electric beater, beat butter and 1 tsp sea salt until pale. Add maple syrup and cinnamon and beat until combined. Refrigerate until required.
- 4Toast crumpets and serve immediately spread with whipped maple butter.