Raw beetroot does soften slightly when lightly marinated, but standing it with the dressing for 5 minutes helps the flavours to meld. Grated or julienned beetroot, combined with a grain mustard or horseradish dressing, also makes a wonderful accompaniment to meat. You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 4 beetroot, cut into matchsticks on a mandolin
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, seeds removed, cut into matchsticks
- 1 cup (firmly packed) mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 200 gm natural thick yoghurt
- 150 ml olive oil
- 50 ml lemon juice
- 1For labne, place yoghurt in a fine metal sieve placed over a bowl and refrigerate overnight to drain (discard excess liquid).
- 2For lemon dressing, whisk ingredients in a bowl to combine. Season to taste and set aside.
- 3Combine beetroot in a large bowl, add lemon dressing, stand for 5 minutes, then add cucumber and mint, toss to combine, transfer to a platter, dot with spoonfuls of labne, season to taste and serve.