- 300 gm block puff pastry
- plain flour, For dusting
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- icing sugar, To serve
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- ½ lemon, rind only (removed with a peeler)
- 6 egg yolks
- 110 gm white sugar (½ cup)
- 90 gm plain flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1Preheat oven to 220C. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface to 5mm thick. Using a sharp knife cut into 5cm-wide strips. Wrap strips, slightly overlapping, around 6 small metal baking horns (see note). Place on a baking tray, with end of pastry tucked under base, and bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden, transfer to a wire rack and cool. Horns will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.
- 2For custard, combine milk and lemon rind in a saucepan and simmer over low-medium heat for 10 minutes to infuse. In a separate bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and frothy, then whisk in flour. Remove lemon rind from milk and discard, then slowly whisk milk into egg yolk mixture. Return mixture to pan and stir over low heat for 10 minutes or until thick. Stir through butter and refrigerate until cold. Custard may be made up to 1 week ahead.
- 3To serve, pipe or spoon custard into pastry horns.
Note Metal baking horns are available from specialist kitchen stores or baking suppliers.