You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 Spanish onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 600 gm cuttlefish, cleaned, cut into 4cm pieces
- 500 gm dried chickpeas, soaked in cold water overnight, drained
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 3 chorizo, halved lengthways then halved again widthways
- 60 ml fino sherry
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 2 tbsp each coarsely chopped mint and flat-leaf parsley, plus extra to serve
- 2½ tbsp lemon juice
- To serve: crusty bread
- 1Heat olive oil in a casserole over medium heat, add onion, sauté until very tender and just golden (8-10 minutes). Add paprika, sauté until fragrant (1 minute), then add cuttlefish, chickpeas, tomato, chorizo, sherry and 1.5 litres water. Season to taste, bring to the simmer, reduce heat to low-medium and simmer until cuttlefish and chickpeas are very tender (1½-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Wrap garlic in foil and roast until very soft (25-30 minutes). When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic cloves from skins and transfer to a mortar and pestle. Dry-roast saffron threads until fragrant (30-40 seconds). Add to garlic with mint and parsley and pound to a smooth paste. Season to taste, then add to cuttlefish mixture with lemon juice and stir to combine. Scatter with extra mint and parsley and serve hot with crusty bread.
Drink Suggestion: Rustic monastrell from La Mancha. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm