- 10 eggs, at room temperature
- 80 gm good-quality whole-egg mayonnaise
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tsp salted baby capers, rinsed, drained, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper, or to taste
- To taste: Tabasco
Celery and coriander salt
- 1 cup inner pale celery leaves (loosely packed)
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- 40 gm sea salt flakes (¼ cup)
- 1For celery and coriander salt, preheat oven to 120C. Scatter celery leaves on an oven tray and roast until crisp (15-20 minutes), then set aside to dry and cool completely. Meanwhile, dry-roast coriander seeds until fragrant (1 minute), and coarsely crush in a mortar and pestle. Add salt and celery leaves, set aside. Celery salt will keep in an airtight container for a week.
- 2Bring a large saucepan of water to the simmer over medium heat, add eggs and stir occasionally until hard-boiled (10 minutes). Refresh under cold running water, then peel, halve lengthways and carefully remove yolk with a teaspoon. Place eggs on a tray lined with absorbent paper, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- 3Press yolks through a fine sieve with a spatula into a bowl. Combine with remaining ingredients, season to taste, then carefully fill eggwhite halves with mixture. Scatter with celery leaves and coriander salt and serve.