- 1 duck (about 2.2kg)
- 12 green onions, trimmed
- 10 cm piece ginger, thickly sliced
- 2 pieces cassia bark
- 60 ml fish sauce (¼ cup)
- 5 star anise
- 1 cup each coriander and mint leaves (loosely packed)
- ½ cup Vietnamese mint leaves (loosely packed)
- To serve: lime wedges
- 1Place duck in a large saucepan and cover with water, bring to the boil over medium heat, then drain, add 8 green onions, ginger and spices and cover with 4 litres of cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 3 hours. Add fish sauce and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper.
- 2Remove duck from liquid and place on a platter. Strain liquid and skim fat, then ladle broth among serving bowls. Coarsely shred duck meat and add to bowls. Thinly slice remaining green onions and divide among bowls, scatter with herbs and serve immediately.
Drink Suggestion: Aromatic wheat beer. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am