- 50 ml olive oil
- 1 carrot and onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 100 gm speck, diced
- 8 duck marylands, skin and bones removed and discarded, meat diced
- 70 gm plain flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) beef stock, warm
- 250 ml (1 cup) red wine
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 100 gm frozen peas
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 500 gm <b><a href='/recipes/recipe-search/masterclass/2008/5/puff-pastry/'>puff pastry</a></b>
- 1Heat oil in a casserole over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, garlic and speck, cook until soft (4-5 mins). Add duck, stir until brown (4-5 mins). Add flour, stir to coat, add stock and wine, stir to combine. Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low, cook until tender (40-50 mins). Add thyme, peas and vinegar, season to taste, spoon into 4 1½-cup-capacity pie dishes, cool.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Roll out pastry to 3mm-thick, refrigerate until firm, cut to fit tops of pie dishes, allowing 5mm overhang. Place over dishes, seal edges and brush with eggwash. Pierce holes in tops, bake until golden (20-30 mins). Serve immediately.