- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 duck, cut into 16 pieces (about 2.2kg)
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 4 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 3 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 650 gm desiree potatoes, cut into 3cm pieces
- 1 litre chicken stock (4 cups)
- 360 gm frozen baby peas (3 cups)
- 1Heat olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add duck and cook, stirring, for 6-8 minutes or until brown, then transfer duck to a plate. Add onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes or until tender, then add herbs, carrot, celery and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- 2Add tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes, then add potatoes and chicken stock. Return duck to pan and bring to the boil. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Partially cover with a lid and reduce heat to low, simmer for 3 hours or until duck is tender. Stir through peas and cook for 5 minutes. Ladle stew into bowls and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Spicy shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen