You'll need to begin this recipe the day before.
- 1 duck, cut into 8 pieces (about 2.2kg)
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 2 kg beetroot, trimmed (about 6)
- 340 gm red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 1Heat a heavy-based frying pan over high heat, add duck pieces and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Combine duck, onions, bay leaf and 3 litres cold water in a large saucepan, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3 hours. Strain stock through a fine sieve and reserve meat. Refrigerate meat and stock overnight. When stock has solidified, remove fat from surface and discard.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Wrap 5 beetroot in foil, place on an oven tray and roast for 2 hours or until tender. Peel beetroot and cut into 1cm pieces.
- 3Place stock into a large saucepan, add cabbage and vinegar and simmer over medium heat for 1 hour or until cabbage is tender. Combine beetroot pieces and flour in a large bowl, add to stock, bring to the boil, season to taste, then simmer.
- 4Meanwhile, coarsely grate remaining beetroot and squeeze juice of grated beetroot into soup, discarding solids. Remove skin from duck and shred meat. Add meat to soup and warm through. Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsWhere to eat, sleep and visit in Melbourne right nowYesterday 8:00pm