- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves (loosely packed)
- 30 gm sea salt (¼ cup)
- 4 duck breasts (about 250gm each)
- 2 tbsp duck fat
- 1.2 kg carrots, peeled and quartered lengthways (about 8)
- To serve: chervil sprigs
Vinegar caramel dressing
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 60 ml red wine vinegar
- 40 ml walnut oil
- 50 gm walnut halves, coarsely chopped and roasted
- 1Pulse parsley and sea salt in a food processor until finely chopped. Lightly score skin of duck breast in a diamond pattern and rub with salt mixture. Place in a non-reactive container and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 2For roast carrot, preheat oven to 190C, melt duck fat in roasting pan, then add carrots and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast, turning occasionally, for
45-50 minutes, or until golden and tender.
- 3For vinegar caramel dressing, combine sugar and 1 tbsp water in a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar dissolves, then increase heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes or until golden caramel in colour, remove from heat, add vinegar and stir to combine. Stir through walnut oil and walnuts and season to taste.
- 4Rinse duck breast under cold running water and pat dry with absorbent paper. Heat a frying pan over low-medium heat, add duck breasts, skin-side down and cook for 5-6 minutes each side for medium or until cooked to liking, then remove to a warm plate, cover loosely and stand for 5 minutes.
- 5Scatter chervil over carrots and toss to combine and serve with duck breast drizzled with caramel dressing.
Drink Suggestion: Deep red Amarone. Drink suggestion by Max Allen