Jicama, also known as yam bean, is a tuber with a fresh, crisp, apple-like quality. It works well in salads, but also makes a refreshing snack simply seasoned with lime juice, ancho chilli powder and salt.
- 1 jicama (about 500gm)
- To serve: juice of 3 limes, plus lime wedges
- 1 orange, thinly sliced
- 3 radishes, cut into julienne
- 1 spring onion, cut into julienne
- 1 cup (firmly packed) coriander cress
- To serve: ancho chilli powder (see note)
- 1Cut jicama into julienne, then place in a non-reactive bowl with lime juice and ½ tsp salt flakes. Add orange, radish, spring onion and coriander cress and toss to combine, scatter with chilli powder to taste and serve with lime wedges.
Note Jicama is available from Asian grocers. Ancho chilli powder is available from Monterey Mexican Foods.