- 8 fresh whole sardines
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- For drizzling: extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-2 lemons, halved
- 500 gm haloumi, thickly sliced
- To serve: coarsely chopped mint and coriander
- 1Preheat a grill over high heat. Remove bones from inside sardines, season with sea salt and chilli. Place on a lightly oiled oven tray, drizzle with olive oil and grill, turning once, until just cooked through (1-2 minutes each side). Squeeze over lemon juice to taste, keep warm.
- 2Place haloumi in a single layer on a lightly oiled oven tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and grill, turning once, until golden (2-3 minutes each side). Squeeze over lemon juice to taste, arrange with sardines on serving plates, scatter with mint and coriander, drizzle with a little extra olive oil, season to taste and serve hot.
ALSO IN SEASON
FRUIT Blackberries, boysenberries, figs, grapes, guavas, kiwifruit, loganberries, lychees, mangoes, honeydew melons, rockmelons, nectarines, passionfruit, peaches, rambutans, raspberries, rhubarb, strawberries, tamarillos.
VEGETABLES Avocados, borlotti beans, capsicum, chillies, cucumbers, eggplant, peas, radishes, squash, sweetcorn, tomatoes, zucchini, zucchini flowers.
Australian salmon, Balmain bugs, bigeye tuna, blue swimmer crabs, goldband snapper, Gould’s squid, mud crabs, Sydney rock oysters, tiger flathead, Western rock lobsters.This recipe is from the February 2010 issue of .