The vinegary piquancy of marinated anchovies makes an excellent addition to many dishes, and here they add a flourish to a light fennel salad. If you don't want to make buttermilk curd, simply top the salad with crumbled salted ricotta, or dollops of goat's curd.
- 600 ml buttermilk
- 2 fennel, shaved on a mandolin
- 16 marinated white anchovies (see note)
- To serve: chervil
- To serve: grilled sourdough (optional)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1½ tbsp tarragon vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1For buttermilk curd, heat buttermilk and 2 tsp sea salt flakes in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring just until the buttermilk curd starts to separate from the whey (2-4 minutes). Do not overheat or the curd will start to cook. Set aside for 1 minute, then strain through muslin and place in the refrigerator to drain (1 hour).
- 2For mustard dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Toss fennel with dressing in a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a plate, top with buttermilk curd and marinated anchovies, scatter with chervil and serve with sourdough.
Note Marinated anchovies are available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Sancerre. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm