- 400 gm fregola (see note)
- 140 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons, or to taste
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon, or to taste
- ½ Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 550 gm (2 punnets) large vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- 1 bunch rocket, larger leaves torn
- 150 gm chevrette, thinly sliced (see note)
- 1/3 cup (firmly packed) basil leaves, shredded
- 1Cook pasta in boiling salted water until al dente (8-10 minutes). Drain, refresh under cold running water, then drain well until almost dry. Transfer to a large bowl with 125ml olive oil, lemon juice and rind, onion and garlic. Season to taste and refrigerate, stirring occasionally until chilled (1-2 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 250C. Scatter tomatoes in a single layer on an oven tray, drizzle with remaining oil and roast until caramelised (10-15 minutes). Cool, then combine in a large bowl with remaining ingredients, toss to combine and serve cold.
Note Fregola is available from select delicatessens and Italian grocers. Chevrette is a semi-hard cheese available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute another semi-hard goat's milk cheese.
Drink Suggestion: Grenache rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen