- 6 globe artichokes
- For deep-frying: sunflower oil
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 3 egg yolks
- 1½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 280 ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp small capers in salt, rinsed, coarsely chopped
- 9 cornichons (45gm), coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp each coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and chervil
- 2 tsp finely chopped tarragon leaves
- 1For gribiche, cook whole eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until hard-boiled (10 minutes). Drain and refresh. Peel, halve, remove yolk (discard white) and set aside. Process raw egg yolk, lemon juice, mustard and garlic in a food processor until combined, then, with motor running, add oil in a thin steady stream until thick and incorporated. Season to taste, transfer to a serving bowl and scatter over remaining ingredients, crumbling cooked egg yolk on top. Makes 375ml. Gribiche will keep for 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container.
- 2Meanwhile, trim tops of artichokes by 2cm with a serrated knife, remove outer leaves with your fingers until you reach the pale inner heart (discard leaves). Trim stems to base of the heart, remove inner hairy choke with a melon-baller. Place in a bowl of acidulated water. Drain well and pat dry.
- 3Preheat oil to 190C in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan. Deep-fry artichoke in batches until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes; be careful, oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper, scatter over sea salt and serve hot with gribiche.
Drink Suggestion: Bone-dry, young riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMargaret River travel guide: the best places to eatYesterday 10:48pm