Make sure the bocconcini are well coated with the gremolata crumbs; otherwise, the cheese will leak from the shells when you deep-fry them.
- 75 gm seasoned plain flour (½ cup)
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 12 bocconcini (35gm each), or 2 fior de latte cut into 6 pieces each
- 375 gm soft white bread slices
- 1½ cups coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ garlic cloves, crushed
- 1For gremolata crumbs, process bread in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- 2Preheat oil in a deep saucepan to 180C. Place flour, egg and gremolata crumbs in separate bowls. Working with one bocconcini at a time, coat in flour, then egg, then crumbs, then repeat with egg and crumbs, pressing to coat well. Deep-fry in batches until cheese is melted and balls are golden (3 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper, season to taste with sea salt flakes and serve hot with lemon wedges.
This recipe is from the April 2012 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Citrusy fresh young Prosecco. Drink suggestion by Max Allen