- 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets (about 1kg)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp currants
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- for deep-frying vegetable oil
- for dusting plain flour
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, pan fried in olive oil until golden
- 1Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add cauliflower and cook for 6 minutes or until just tender. Drain, refresh under cold water, drain, and pat dry.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add onion and cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until caramelised. Add currants, allspice, season to taste with sea salt and set aside.
- 3Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Dust cauliflower in flour, shaking off excess, deep-fry for 3 minutes or until dark brown, then drain on an absorbent paper-lined plate. Combine cauliflower and onion mixture in a large bowl, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground white pepper and serve scattered with pine nuts.