When you're cooking rice, It's always handy to make extra to use for fried rice the following day. It's one of the quickest and easiest of meals. Cooked rice will keep in the fridge for two days.
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 600 gm cooked jasmine rice (380gm uncooked)
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce (preferably Healthy Boy; see note)
- 1 tbsp fish sauce, or to taste
- Large pinch of caster sugar
- 30 gm dried shrimp (see note), soaked in cold water for 5 minutes, drained
- 150 gm picked crab meat
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- To serve: ground roasted chilli flakes, thinly sliced cucumber and lime wedges
- 1Heat a wok over high heat until very hot, add 1 tbsp oil and eggs, and stir until eggs are scrambled and dry (1-2 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside.
- 2Add remaining oil and garlic to pan and stir-fry until just golden (20 seconds; be careful not to let garlic burn or it will turn bitter), then add rice and egg and stir-fry to combine and warm through (1-2 minutes). Add sauces, sugar and a large pinch of ground white pepper, stir-fry to combine, then check and adjust seasoning. Add shrimp and crab meat, stir-fry to combine, then stir in spring onion. Scatter fried rice with chilli flakes, and serve with cucumber slices and lime wedges.
Note Healthy Boy soy sauce and dried shrimp are available from Asian grocers.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp young riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersEveryone's making sourdough; we're making focacciaYesterday 7:30am
- Fast RecipesSpiced yoghurt chicken with cardamom-coconut pilafYesterday 6:00am