- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 200 ml sweet sparkling wine, such as Prosecco or Moscato d’Asti
- 2 eggwhites
- 2 granny smith apples, cored and thickly sliced widthways
- 100 ml rum or Calvados
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- To serve: pure icing sugar
- 190 gm caster sugar
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 150 ml sweet sparkling wine
- 1 tbsp pouring cream
- 1Sift flour into a large bowl, make a well in the centre, add lemon rind, ground cinnamon, egg and half the sparkling wine, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in the remaining wine, cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature for 1 hour. Whisk the eggwhites until firm peaks form and fold through batter.
- 2Meanwhile, for cinnamon caramel combine sugar, cinnamon and 150ml water in a small saucepan and stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Cook until dark caramel in colour (8-10 minutes), remove from heat and carefully add wine and cream, stirring to combine. Remove cinnamon and set aside.
- 3Combine apple slices and rum in a bowl and stand for 15 minutes. Meanwhile heat oil in a deep-fryer or deep-sided saucepan to 180C. Drain apple, then dip slices in batter, shaking to remove excess and cook in batches, turning occasionally, until golden and apple is tender (5-7 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper, dust heavily with icing sugar and serve immediately with cinnamon caramel.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm