You'll need to begin this recipe two days ahead.
- 500 ml (2 cups) raspberry vinegar
- 200 gm raw caster sugar
- 50 gm sea salt
- 4 juniper berries
- 1 bunch baby beetroot, trimmed, peeled, large ones halved
- ¼ each red and Savoy cabbage (about 250gm of each), thinly sliced
- 40 gm (¼ cup) sea salt
- 65 gm caster sugar
- 60 ml (¼ cup) white wine vinegar
Carrots and radish
- 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 500 ml (2 cups) white wine vinegar
- 250 gm caster sugar
- 75 gm sea salt
- 1 bunch each Dutch carrots and radishes, trimmed
- 500 ml (2 cups) tarragon vinegar
- 350 gm caster sugar
- 4 each thyme sprigs and fresh bay leaves
- ¼ tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- To serve: crusty bread and mâche cress
- 1For beetroot, combine all ingredients (except beetroot) and 800ml water in a saucepan. Boil over medium heat, add beetroot, cook until tender (8-15 minutes). Cool, refrigerate until pickled (1-2 days).
- 2For cabbage, combine cabbage and salt in a non-reactive bowl, stand, stirring occasionally, until wilted (1 hour). Add sugar and vinegar, toss to combine, refrigerate until pickled (1-2 days).
- 3For carrots and radish, heat a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add coriander seeds, stir until they pop (1-2 minutes), add vinegar, sugar, salt and 750ml water. Bring to the boil, cook for 5 minutes. Add vegetables, then cook for 2 minutes. Cool, refrigerate until pickled (1-2 days).
- 4For cauliflower, combine all ingredients (except cauliflower) and 800ml water in a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, add cauliflower, cook until tender (3-5 minutes). Cool, refrigerate until pickled (1-2 days).
- 5Serve pickles and cress with crusty bread.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am