- 2 mud crab (900gm each), cleaned
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 80 gm freshly grated coconut
- 40 gm young ginger, grated
- 4 long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp sambal pecel (see note)
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- ½ tsp fenugreek seeds
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp dark palm sugar, or to taste
- 1Kill crab humanely. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil, add crab one at a time, cover, bring back to the boil and cook for 10 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- 2When crab is cool enough to handle, remove top shell, discard gills and clean. Quarter crab and crack large claws, leaving them attached. Refrigerate until required.
- 3Heat peanut oil in a large wok over high heat, add coconut and stir-fry until starting to toast (1-2 minutes). Add ginger and stir-fry until just golden (1-2 minute), then add chilli and stir to combine. Add sambal pecel and spices, stir to roast slightly (30 seconds), then add crab and coconut milk, and stir until crab is coated in sauce and warmed through (2-4 minutes). Season to taste with palm sugar and lime juice, top with coriander and serve hot.
Drink Suggestion: Off-dry riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen